How to prevent a house fire: What you need to know

What to know: Fire hazards, including carbon monoxide poisoning, can occur in homes and buildings that are not properly maintained.

Fire can be sparked by a fire alarm, malfunctioning electrical wiring or faulty electrical wiring harnesses.

How can you protect yourself: Check for any problems before the fire starts and get the fire extinguisher installed if necessary.

If the smoke alarms and electrical wiring do not work, check the wiring harness and ensure there are no gaps between the two.

If smoke alarms do not go off, check that they are working correctly.

If there are gaps between electrical wiring, install an electrical safety alarm.

If an electrical smoke alarm does not go on, use a smoke detector.

If you cannot see the smoke, check you have a fire extinguishing system.

If a fire has started in your home, call the local fire brigade or call the fire brigade directly.

If your home has smoke alarms, install a smoke alarm system to check the fire has stopped and the fire alarm is on.

If it does not, call 000.

If all other fire safety systems have failed, use smoke extinguishers to put out the fire.